A beautiful smile helps in winning a million hearts. So in case you have a new-born baby, then take proper care of his teeth and help him in developing good dental hygiene habits. But this should actually begin before you can see your child’s first tooth. There are certain things that you should take into consideration to ensure that your child has strong and healthy teeth and gums. Following these simple child dental health & care tips will help protect your child against diseases pertaining to the teeth.
* Make him brush his teeth twice in a day, i.e., when he wakes up from his sleep in the morning and before he goes to bed at night.
* When your child attains the pre-school age, make him use fluoride toothpaste. But ensure that your child does not cover the entire brush with the toothpaste. Only a little is enough for his teeth.
* Children usually have the tendency of swallowing a major portion of the toothpaste. Hence, always keep an eye on them when they brush their teeth or you can brush their teeth, particularly if they are young, because consumption of too much of toothpaste containing fluoride may cause some stains on their teeth.
* In case your little child has developed some cavities, immediately consult a dentist for fillings. Do not sit back thinking that the cavities need not be filled up because the so called baby teeth of your child will gradually fall off.
* Proper nutrition also helps in keeping your child’s teeth strong and healthy. Make your child eat nutritional snacks and avoid giving him sugary drinks as far as possible.
* You can help your child develop good dental habits with the help of fun-filled educational activities like for example brushing charts, games, fun facts, puzzles, and so on. Always keep in mind that this is the best way of educating your child as children usually love having fun at the time of learning.
* Finally, take your child for dental checkups at regular intervals. This is very essential for developing the sense of good oral hygiene at a very young age.
As per the American Dental Association, parents should take their child to a dentist when they are a year old. This allows the dentist to take care of the early problems surrounding your beloved child’s teeth. There are several affordable dental services offered by the pediatric dentists who have done specialization in the treatment of the dental health of children. Going to the dentist with your child from a very young age will make your child get acquainted with the dentist and secondly, it will also inculcate the habit of dental checkups at regular intervals within your child.